Thursday, February 15, 2007

Saying Goodbye


Yesterday was the last 'Al Franken Show.' As our readers probably know, Al is heading off for a Senate run in Minnesota. We certainly wish him the best as he takes on Norm Coleman (R) in 08.

I found myself more emotional than I thought I'd be listening to the last show. Working in the legal document review industry for the last two years, I'd come to rely on Franken to get me through the long days. He did with a unique style that I hope we can duplicate on this site's radio-style venture GENERATION BLUE.

Franken, a comedian, made me laugh alot. His political humor is sometimes subtle, but powerful nontheless. He was born in 1951, so obviously he's cut from a different cloth than the Stewarts and Colberts (whom Franken often praises) of the world. Yet he's a terrific sketch writer and put that talent to great use, I think, on his radio show. But he also got angry, especially when talking about Congress' lack of oversight on Iraq. He even cried at times.

Franken directed a full, emotional discussion of all the issues of the day. His regular guests (Tom Oliphant, Norm Ornstein, Lawrence O'Donnell, David Brock and Joe Conasan (amongst others) were like friends to me! I'll miss his show greatly. Thanks to aprogs for letting me process my grief on this wonderful site! -- Jay Brenner

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home