Monday, October 16, 2006

Senator Talent is a Muppet

This post is inspired by every political debate and commercial that you have been and will be viewing or listening to as we approach the elections. I have had a lot of time lately to watch the tube and have encountered my share of sleazy ads (and by sleazy I mostly mean Santorum) and debates (mostly courtesy of CSPAN). What I have found is that most candidates (regardless of party) are not original or clear in their messages or responses (shocking, I know). So I thought it would be progressive of me to suggest a style of ad and/or debate responses that candidates (left ones preferably) can use to help them win some additional votes while there is still time left. I can draw from the Missouri debate of Senator Jim No Talent Left Behind and Claire McCaskill that I watched tonight.

TO ALL CANDIDATES: GO ON THE REAL OFFENSIVE - BE CLEAR ON WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU STAND FOR - QUICKLY CALL YOUR OPPONENT A SILLY NAME AND THEN GET RIGHT TO WHERE YOU (not they) STAND ON THE ISSUES - THE ABILITY OF YOUR OPPONENT TO SOUND LIKE A FOOL IS YOUR DEFENSE - TRUST ME, IT WORKS - VOTERS DON'T NEED TO HEAR YOU SMEAR THE OTHER GUY/GAL - IT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK BAD!!!

As Talent clearly demonstrated, candidates today have their roles reversed. Instead of using an offense of explaining who you are and what you believe in, Talent's offense came in the form of attacking his opponent. McCaskill had to do some of the same when she heard the craziness coming out of Talent's mouth, but her offense was more about what she stands for (with direct answers to the questions, unlike Talent) and her defense simply replies to personal attacks made by Talent. However, based on my suggestion above, McCaskill should have a) called Talent a silly name (Muppet is my recommendation) and b) exploited his response to the stem cell research question - which was more a response to cloning - something like "I don't want to wake up one day, go outside and see myself across the street from me" - after hearing your responses and attacks this evening, Mr. Talent, I wouldn't want you cloned either.

One more reason to get right to the point - the world may proliferate any day now thanks to MC Jong-il.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home